Ko Matiti te Maunga
Ko Maraetaha te Awa
Ko Horouta te Waka
Ko Ngai Tāmanuhiri te Iwi
Ko Waiari te Marae
Waiari means ‘underground waters’. Close to the marae site, there are underground springs that run from the hills to the ocean. That is the significance of the name Waiari.
The Riki whānau built the meeting house in 1912, according to Angela Hair. Other sources state that the building came about due to Pakowhai land block funds. But that the land belonged to the Riki whānau.
Waiari was the first marae in Ngai Tāmanuhiri to undergo restoration. This is an ongoing project, undertaken by Ngai Tāmanuhiri. The pictures in the slider above show before and after shots.
On 20/3/2014 The Kohanga was relocated from between the hall and the Wharenui to its new site next to Waiari (a Gallery of the move is viewable here and on the Facebook page). Below is the current designs created by Architects 44 for how the Wharenui / Abolutions block and Kohanga will be arranged (click on the picture for a larger image).